School SEN Information Report

Royston St John Baptist CE Primary School

Welcome to our special educational needs and disability (SEND) information report. The aim of this report is to explain how the staff at Royston St John Baptist CE Primary School are able to support children with special educational needs and disabilities.
We are an inclusive school and believe that all children should be valued and treated with respect. The school uses its best endeavours to ensure that the provision for all its pupils is of the highest possible standard, whilst acknowledging that we are continually striving to improve our practice. We are committed to narrowing the attainment gap between children with SEND and their non-SEND peers. We are working to achieve this in variety of different ways.

What is “Special Educational Needs”?
‘A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they:
(a) have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age;
(b) have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post -16 institutions.
A child under compulsory school age has special educational needs if they fall within the definition at (a) or (b) above or would do so if special educational provision was not made for them (Clause 20 Children and Families Act)’ ( Children and Families Act 2014)

What is a disability?
The Equality Act 2010 states that a person has a disability if they have a physical or mental impairment and the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. A physical or mental impairment includes: learning difficulties including specific learning difficulties; medical conditions including epilepsy, diabetes, more severe forms of asthma and eczema; autism; speech, language and communication impairments.
If the impairment has a substantial and long-term effect on a person’s ability to carry out normal day-to day activities it may amount to a disability.

Who are the best people to talk to in school about my child’s difficulties with Learning and Special Educational Needs?
Your child’s class teacher
Responsible for:
· Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support)
· Writing Personal Profiles and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term.
· Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
· Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

The SENCo – Miss Alex Webb
Responsible for:
· Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
· Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology, Occupational Therapists etc.
· Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
· Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible
Ensuring that you are:
· involved in supporting your child’s learning
· kept informed about the support your child is getting
· involved in reviewing how they are doing

At Royston St John Baptist CE Primary School the Special Needs Coordinator (SENCo) is Miss Alex Webb.

Responsible for:
· The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND. She will give responsibility to the SENCo and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
· She must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

SEN and Vulnerable groups Governor
Responsible for:
· Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND?

Quality First Teaching 
All children in school have access to quality first teaching.
For your child this would mean:
· The highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
· All teaching builds on what your child already knows, can do and can understand (personalised learning).
· Different teaching styles are used so that your child is fully involved in learning.
· Through on-going teacher assessment your child’s teacher will identify any gaps in their understanding/learning and as a result, plan extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
· On-going feedback (verbal or written)
· Regular use of encouragement and praise to engage and motivate pupils
Specific small group work
· Your child may be involved in analysis group work. These groups involve a teacher or teaching assistant working with your child, within a group, to work on a specific target. These groups can run either in the classroom or outside the classroom.
· Your child may be involved in a series of group sessions working through a specific programme to support their needs. For example, Lego therapy, music interaction, social stories, Thrive. If your child is to be involved in a specific programme, you will be given information beforehand.

One to one sessions:
· Your child may be involved in one to one sessions with either a teacher, teaching assistant or external professional.
· Any group or one to one sessions your child may be involved in will be aimed specifically to help your child achieve targets identified on their Personal Profile or within their Statement or EHCP.

Stages of SEN
Following the SEN Code of Practice (2015), the school uses a graduated approach when meeting the needs of children with SEN. For many children, simple changes to the way that the curriculum is delivered can make a significant impact on removing the barriers to their learning. Your child’s class teacher will be making these changes on a daily basis in order to ensure that all the children in the class can make the most of the learning experiences presented.

SEN support
For some children this may not be enough to help them make adequate progress and they may need something which is ‘additional to and different from’ that which is normally provided for all children. This could mean that the class teacher may be using different strategies to help your child to learn, or perhaps your child will be receiving some additional support in a small group alongside other children with similar needs.
For some children the school, with your agreement, may decide to involve some external professionals or agencies to provide them with more specialist advice and guidance in order to support them to remove the barriers to your child’s learning. Only a very small percentage of children require support of an additional nature beyond this point.

Statement of Special Educational Needs or Education, Health and Care Plan
If your child has very specific barriers to learning (this includes physical needs, learning needs and emotional and social needs), they may require a statement of special educational needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan.This means your child will have been identified by the school as needing a particularly high level of additional support, which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.
For your child this would mean:
Request for Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment
· The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
· After the school (or you) have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need
an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support at the current level (SEN support).
Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment
· After the reports have all been sent in, the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and require significant support in school to make good progress. If this is the case, they will write an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support at the current level (SEN support) and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
· The Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) will outline the support your child will receive from the LA, how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term outcomes for your child.

How are school’s resources/funding allocated and matched to children’s needs?
· Senior staff make decisions regarding the allocation of funding and staff
· The needs of the child will always dictate the best form of provision for that child and on occasion external advice may be sought, and parent/carers will be consulted.
Who are the people providing services to children with SEN at Royston St John Baptist CE Primary School?
· Teachers
· Teaching assistants
· Parent Support Advisor (Miss Viki Goodyear)
· Educational Psychology Service
· BESST (Barnsley Education Specialist Support Team)
· Speech and Language Therapy Service (SALT)
· Occupational Therapy Service
· Physiotherapy Service
· Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
· School Nurse

What happens if I am concerned about my child’s progress or my child requires extra support?
· If you have concerns about your child’s progress or your child requires extra support, you should initially make an appointment to speak to your child’s class teacher.
· If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and/or that your child is still not making progress, you should request to speak to the SENCo (Miss Webb) or Executive Head teacher (Mr Spencer).

What extra-curricular activities can my SEND child take part in?
· All our extra-curricular activities are open to all pupils.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom?
· The school ensure that all children with SEND are fully included in all aspects of the curriculum and activities.
· If a child has additional needs, prior to any residential visits a meeting is held with the parent/carer to identify any potential barriers to full participation so that the best endeavours can be made to overcome these.

How will my child’s learning needs be assessed and their progress monitored?
· Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
· His/her progress in reading, writing and maths is reviewed formally every term.
· At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results are published nationally.
· All children at Royston St John Baptist CE Primary School identified as having a special educational need or disability will have a One Page Profile. Most also have a Personal Profile (previously known as an Individual Education Plan). This Personal Profile will be reviewed with your involvement every term and a plan for the next term made.
· The progress of children with a statement or Education, Health and Car Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
· The SENCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with an SEND and what training do they have?
· Part of the SENCo’s job is to support (or sign post to further support) the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.
· In September 2009 it became law for every new SENCO in a mainstream school to gain the Master’s level National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator within 3 years of taking up the post. Our SENCo has achieved this national qualification.
· The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. Recent training has included: Autism awareness training, Team Teach training, Personal Profile training, Epipen training and speech and language training.
· Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g from the ASD Outreach service, Physiotherapy, Behaviour support.

How is Royston St John Baptist CE Primary School accessible to children with SEND?
The Disability Discrimination Act places a duty on all schools to plan to increase over time the accessibility of schools for disabled pupils and to implement their plans. Schools are required to produce an accessibility plan which is reviewed and updated every 3 years.
For the school Accessibility Plan, see policies section of the website or ask at the school office.
What are your school’s admission arrangements for pupils with SEN or disabilities?
To apply for a school in Barnsley you can either apply online or fill in a paper application form which is available from any primary school or from School Admissions. Further guidance is available at
Children who have a statement of special educational needs or an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP) which names the school are required to be admitted.

How can I find out about additional provision for children with SEND in and around Barnsley?
Local authorities must publish a Local Offer, setting out in one place information about provision they expect to be available across education, health and social care for children and young people in their area who have SEN or are disabled, including those who do not have Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans. The Local Offer must include provision in the local authority’s area. It must also include provision outside the local area that the local authority expects is likely to be used by children and young people with SEN for whom they are responsible and disabled children and young people.
To access Barnsley’s Local Offer click on the link below.